Re: BLI vs. Walthers express reefers

Ed Hawkins

On Tuesday, September 20, 2005, at 09:32 PM, Randy wrote:

The main differences I can see between the Walthers & the Branchline
REA Express Reefers are

1. Different trucks
2. The roofs are shaped different, Walthers appears to be more rounded.
3. The ends are different. Where Walthers appear smooth, Branchlines
are ribbed.

This is going by the picture on Walthers website & the Branchline car
I have in front of me.

Branchline's pictures are on their website & match the car I have.

http://www.branchline-
trains.com/blueprint/expressreefers/express_reefers.htm
Randy Jones
Randy,
I think there's some confusion on what the intent of the subject matter
is. The subject was comparing the Broadway Limited vs. the Walthers
versions of the wood express refrigerator cars built by General
American Car Co. in the late 1920s to about 1930. These models are
supposed to be scale replicas of the same prototype car, thus the
geometry should be identical if done correctly. There can and should be
differences in appliances and such, due to upgrades and modifications
that were made over their service lives, including different types of
trucks.

Branchline's REA and ACL express refrigerator model is based on an
entirely different prototype car, which is a welded all-steel car built
by AC&F in 1947-48. Walthers makes another REA model that is based on a
riveted all-steel car built by GATC in 1955 and 1957. These two models
are supposed to be different.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins