Re: lightweight freight cars (was Re: roofs)

Tim O'Connor

Pat, although the physics of moving freight cars is real and had real
operational consequences (e.g. more fuel, more power) I don't think
the Return On Investment for lighter cars was ever as compelling as
say, increased car capacity, or roller bearings, or cushion underframes,
and so on. So while railroads dabbled in lighter car designs I think the
primary focus was on overall operating cost reduction. Nowadays (if I
may be permitted) considerable sums have been spent on lighter coal
cars, but it has to be pointed out that due to wind resistance, empty
coal cars going back to Wyoming require almost as much power & fuel
as the loaded coal cars! Railroads once again have discovered that
greater capacity (to 286,000 lbs) has a faster payoff than worrying
about fine-tuning the tare-to-weight ratio.