Beer Tank Cars? (was Wine car ops)

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Armand Premo wrote:
"Now if beer had been transported in tank cars, I might be
interested."

Larry Jackman replied:
"It is is it not? Coors ships a lot of beer to the east coast for
bottling. How does it go there?"

What's in those CORX tank cars isn't beer - at least not while it's
being shipped. It's wort, which essentially is non-fermented beer
(NOT "beer concentrate" as stated in the following website):
http://www.trainweb.org/midrail/Photos/MISCPhotos/MISCequipstock2.html

FWIW, here's more on the beer making process:
http://www.travelportland.com/media/mbmedkit/mb_brew_process.html

I'm not sure if this was done during our era of interest. There were
far more independent local breweries in existence during the 1950s
than there are today, and Anheuser-Busch was just builing/acquiring
its system of satellite breweries during that decade (Newark 1951,
Los Angeles 1954, Tampa 1959). Until the 1970s, Coors was very much
a regional beer - remember the whole premise of "Smokey and the
Bandit" was to rush a trailer load of Coors back east.

Ben Hom