Re: Attitudes of kit producers, was:Wine car ops

al_brown03

Remember also that in the time frame of this list, industrial
activity was much more concentrated in the Northeast than it is any
more. John Nehrich has commented eloquently on this, from the
opposite perspective: wishing to model the Northeast with its
industrial base still vigorous.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "wmcclark1980" <walterclark@e...>
wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., "wmcclark1980" <walterclark@e...>
wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson
<rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
<snip a whole bunch of stuff> If we can get injection-molded
styrene
"conversation pieces" like Pfaudler milk reefers, which are
entirely
useless to modelers of southern, southwestern, and western
RRs, why
> not six compartment wine tank cars?

Richard Hendrickson
Richard, and everyone else,

I wonder if the reason we get only northeastern prototype cars
like
the Pfaudler milk reefers and not cars that were seen throughout
the
country like wine tank cars, and others, is because:

1. Except for California and Texas the states with the highest
population (for example, look at any nighttime satelite photo of
the
continental US and note where the largest areas of light
concentration
are), and therefore potential modelers (market for models) is in
the
northeast; and

2. List population excepted, many northeasterners are very
parochial
in their attitudes and really don't care much about anything that
might break through their "if it is from west of the Mississippi
and
north of the Ohio is doesn't matter" attitute.

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California
Point 2 should say in part "if it is from west of the Mississippi
and
SOUTH of the Ohio IT doesn't matter"... This was one of those
times
when I read what I wanted to say when I proofed the message. Oh,
well, another PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard a chair).

Walt