Re: cars that sell; plus tank car bashing, etc.

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 22, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Gatwood, Elden wrote:

...as lousy as it is, the Athearn tank car frame may also be suitable
for bashing into something more closely resembling the GATC pre-war
frame. Has anyone done one of these that met their satisfaction?
I did an article for RMJ several years ago (August, 1996?) on kitbashing an Athearn single dome tank car model (which scales out to about 12,500 gals.) by shortening both tank and underframe to the dimensions of a 10K gal. GATC Type 30, along with increasing the dome height and adding considerable detail. I thought the model turned out pretty well. Look up the article and see for yourself.

Richard Hendrickson