Re: cars that sell; plus tank car bashing, etc.

Jason Hill

Hello all,
OK, ok, you got me to stop lurking. 8-) I believe that several of
members of the La Mesa MRRC in San Diego have done a few of the 6-dome
AHM wine cars and they have turned out quite well. I've also been
enjoying kitbashing various tankcars into other prototypes. One of my
most recent projects was scratch building a huge dome for CLDX 1008
per a photo from the historic society in Trona, CA. Hopefully I'll
get around to taking and posting some photos on my website.

Jason Hill
www.geocities.com/hilljason

--- In STMFC@..., "Gatwood, Elden" <Elden.Gatwood@h...> wrote:
Richard;
Thank you very much for looking that up for me. I do not have those
CBCs.

It certainly gives pause for thought about the bashing possibilities,
doesn't it?

BTW, I have a partially-completed bash of an Athearn 3-dome tank done
that is based on a STC 3-dome car pictured in an issue of MM. I hacked
out a portion of each end, re-did the tank bands, and am contemplating
what to do next, like replacing or just modifying the dome access
platform, and potentially re-doing the dome appliances. The basic car
looks a lot like a GATC product, but is not. Was STC absorbed into
GATC? The model looks like it might pass muster.

Although I cannot tell who owned the real car most recently, it sure
looks like GATX, based on the lettering style. Would anyone care to
speculate?

Next, as lousy as it is, the Athearn tank car frame may also be suitable
for bashing into something more closely resembling the GATC pre-war
frame. Has anyone done one of these that met their satisfaction?

Finally, there are those AHM tank cars that resemble the 105A300W of the
mid-50's that AC&F did. Has anyone upgraded one of these to a level
they are happy with?

Have a great day, all.

Elden Gatwood