Re: roofs, was detail of AAR 1937 boxcar

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

The M&StL had 10 aluminum box cars. One was 'cornered' in a
switching incident and needed, among other parts, a new end. The
M&StL could not obtain a new aluminum end so settled for a steel end
knowing full well the problems that would ensue. When Bill
Landmesser, last motive power supt. of M&StL was telling me about
this he didn't mention if there were any steps taken to keep the
steel and aluminum out of direct contact with one another. The point
of his story was that when the steel end was applied the car needed
to be painted so the M&StL painted it, and eventually some other
aluminum box cars, in their well-known green and yellow.

Two essential elements are missing from this story: Which car and
when. But when Bill got going it was best to let him talk and not
interrupt.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Ted Culotta <tculotta@s...> wrote:
On Sep 22, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Paul LaCiura wrote:

I won't go into specific detail of the extensive corrosion damage
found
under the car, but the overall condition could be summed up when
examined
the crash posts and found that they had for the most part turned
powder
beneath the floor line. The builder had specified an "isolation"
paint
between the dissimilar materials on the construction drawings.
The
only
thing that could have prevented this would have been isolation
gaskets
between dissimilar surfaces and sleeves around all fasteners to
effectively
prevent galvanic contact.

This of course applies to cars built of both aluminum and steel
in
contact
with each other. I cannot comment on the corrosion resistance of
an
all
aluminum car in freight service as that is outside my expertise.
This was exactly the experience referenced in the Sunshine data
sheet
for the aluminum head end car kits. At the points where steel
components and aluminum were in contact, there were big issues.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@s...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912