Re: Soo line boxcars

Ed Hawkins

On Friday, September 23, 2005, at 04:13 PM, Brian J Carlson wrote:

How long did the Soo Line "dollar sign" (ok, probably not the right
term,
but since I was a kid, I've called it the dollar sign scheme) scheme
last
into the mid-late 1950's? I know the larger "SOO LINE" started to
appear in
the mid-fifties wondering how quickly older cars were repainted.
Brian,
I'm pretty sure this subject has been discussed before on this list.
The billboard SOO LINE began to appear in the very early 1950s. An
early example is a George Sisk photo of box car 137190, built new
11-51. A later example of a car still having the "dollar sign" emblem
is a Paul Dunn photo of box car 136802 with a reweigh date of 1958.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins