surprisingly stashed away
at a local museum, I came across the following, transcribed in part:
--------------------------
Albina, November 16, 1956

All U.P. Agents –

PART 95 – CAR SERVICE REVISED SERVICE ORDER NO. 915 SUBSTITUTION
OF
REFRIGERATION CARS FOR BOX CARS

At a session of the Interstate Commerce Commission . . . 31, October
1956.

It appearing, That the number of freight cars available for the
movement of box car freight
in the States of Oregon, California, Arizona, Idaho, Utah and Nevada,
has seriously
decreased recently; that at present the supply is insufficient to
move such freight traffic of
carriers serving those states; that there are certain SFRD, PFE and
WP refrigerator cars in
that territory not suitable for transporting commodities requiring
protective service and
that such cars are suitable for transporting other freight; in the
opinion of the Commission
an emergency exists requiring immediate action in [above named
states].
--------------------------
In summation, it was ordered that railroads could provide 2
refrigerator cars in place of a
40-foot boxcar, or 3 refrigerators in place of a 50-foot boxcar for
carload freight
originating AND terminiating within those same states. I assume this
must have been an
unusual occurence? Any speculation as to what commodities would be
transported
between those 6 states?

Marc Entze
Pullman, WA