Re: Wine car ops

Richard Townsend

Forgot to mention that the vehicles in the picture appear to be from the twenties, so it is likely that the photo is from the early post-prohibition days.

richtownsend@netscape.net wrote:

I have a book about the Santa Clara Valley wine industry that contains a photo of four single-dome tank cars being loaded with Mirassou wine in San Jose. �One is GATX 3827. �The others do not have legible reporting marks, but one is a high-walkway car. �It looks like they trucked the aging casks to the siding, and pumped wine from the casks to the tank cars.

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Roger Parry <uncleroger@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Would Wine cars of any number of domes be appropriate for the 1930's ?
On Sep 22, 2005, at 10:26 PM, Mr Charles burns wrote:

Hello Tim ,All
�There was some discussion of winecars on this list a
while back, and one post {gatx417?}had a Bob Morris
photo of Fresno with many wine cars in view. So for
the central valley in the 50s-60s at least,wine cars
were not an oddity. This is enough of an excuse for me
to build a 6 dome wine car for my N scale 64'
Coastline layout.
Charlie Burns

--- Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@sunlink.net> wrote:

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

Wine tank cars would certainly not have been seen
on branch lines in
places like Kansas or Georgia. �But there is
abundant photographic
evidence of them in the trains of the major
transcontinental carriers
that served California such as the Santa Fe, Union
Pacific/C&NW, and
Southern Pacific/Rock Island/T&NO/SSW, sometimes
several of them at one
time, en route to widely scattered destinations.
I wonder sometimes whether the "abundant
photographic evidence" is more
related to the oddity of a car than to quantity.

Tim Gilbert

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Richard Townsend