Re: MDC OT tank car frame, was new products (was BLI vs. Walthers ...): Now Champ Decals

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 27, 2005, at 4:14 PM, Paul LaCiura wrote:

The subject came up on the Espee group regarding the possibility of Champ
intentionally making very slight changes (not noticeable to most consumers)
to their decal artwork in the past so that they could see if someone were
"pirating" their artwork downstream.

I know the subject seems petty but I am wondering if there is any truth to
that rumor?
I've also heard that rumor, but I've never seen any evidence to confirm it. Seems pointless, anyway, as "pirating" would be very difficult to establish - after all, the designs of the heralds, slogans, etc. were the property of the prototype RRs, not of Champ or any other decal maker - and legal action against offenders would have cost far more than any amount of damages it would have been possible to recover.

Richard Hendrickson