NKP Car Movements

Bill Darnaby

Ok guys...here it is. I'm a little late because I was out of town. First, a bit of explaination. This data was hand written on 5x7 note pad sheets by somebody in the Swift & Co traffic dept and given to the NKP. Each sheet has a stamp "received Nickel Plate Road, date, Frankfort, IND". I tried to use the abbreviations used on the sheets. Where "VAN" appears it refers to the PRR Vandalia lines with which the NKP had an interchange at the east end of the yard. These cars were taken directly to the interchange. The "xtown" indication refers, I believe, to where the load of raw beans originated. The beans apparently arrived at Swift in Frankfort in other cars and were processed into meal and sent on. All of the originating locations were local elevators, some on the NKP, some not. I guess the local elevator did not have milling capability and used Swift to sell bean meal. After I got into these particular lists I noticed that there many 27000 series NKP cars. During this time the NKP was rebuilding double sheathed cars into these cars at Frankfort so these loads were probably the first loads for these cars. The next time I will pick a different time to avoid this and get more interesting car numbers. The list is best viewed on the full screen.

DATE CAR LOAD ROUTING

6-2-48 NKP 27736 bean meal VAN-Goodrich Bro,Winchester,IN via PRR

NKP 16779 bean meal VAN-H D Shaw, Cedar Springs, MI via PRR
xClayton, IN
MILW 70853 bean meal VAN-Urbana Mills, Urbana, OH via PRR
xManson, IN
PRR 104426 bean meal VAN-Buhner Co, Louisville via PRR-B4
xCamden, IN
SHPX 7828 bean oil E F Drew Co,Boonton, NJ via NKP/Buf-DLW

NATX 1227 bean oil Lever Bro, Edgewater, NJ via NKP/Buf-Erie-NYSW

NKP 27733 bean meal Gen Mills, Toledo, OH, via NKP-TT
xMichigantown, IN
6-3-48 GM&O 8468 bean meal VAN-Wooster Jct Mfg, Wooster, OH via PRR-B&O
xClayton, IN
NKP 27737 bean meal VAN-Urbana Mills, Urbana, OH via PRR
xManson
NKP 27738 bean meal VAN-Buhner Ferts, Seymour, IN via PRR-B&O
xFora, IN
SHPX 4021 bean oil E F Drew Co,Boonton, NJ via NKP/Buf-DLW

6-4-48 GATX 21852 bean oil Procter&Gamble, Ivorydale, OH NKP/Indpls-NYC

NKP 27742 bulk meal Parke-Pollard, Black Rock, NY NKP-NYC
xKokomo
NKP 27732 bulk meal Parke-Pollard, Black Rock, NY NKP-NYC
xKokomo

6-7-48 IC 18954 meal VAN-Jackson Cty Farm Bureau Coop, Seymour, IN PRR-B&O

NKP 27742 bulk meal Parke-Pollard, Black Rock, NY NKP-NYC
xMichigantown
IC 20295 meal Foster Canning Co, Napoleon, OH, NKP-DTI
xTab, IN
NKP 13301 meal Acme Evans Co, Indianapolis-NKP

SHPX 8974 bean oil E F Drew Co,Boonton, NJ via NKP/Buf-DLW

6-8-48 NKP 27740 meal VAN-Owasso Coal&Elevator, Owasso MI PRR-MC
xSummitville, IN stop off Jackson,MI,Mich Mills, GTW Dely Owasso
NKP 17659 meal Lafayette Co-op Elev, NKP
xAlexandria, IN
NKP 27745 meal Cooperative Mills, Buffalo, BC dely
xBennets-Noblesville-Cicero-Arcadia
NKP 27741 meal Blissfield Co-op, Blissfield, MI NKP-NYC

GATX 16139 bean oil Proctor&Gamble, Portsmouth, VA NKP/Indpls-B4-N&W

6-9-48 CN 522526 meal VAN-H Van Patten Co, Allen, MI PRR-NYC
xBrazil, IN
MKT 79005 meal VAN-Urbana Mills, Urbana, OH via PRR
xManson
SHPX 20647 bean oil E F Drew Co,Boonton, NJ via NKP/Buf-DLW

NKP 17310 meal Dayette Mills, Cooch, Del, NKP-PRR
xArcadia&Cicero
NKP 16920 meal United Gr. Co., Rossburg, OH NKP-NYC

6-10-48 IC 33626 meal VAN-Urbana Mills, Urbana, OH via PRR
xFlora, IN
KCS 18257 meal The Glidden Co, Indianapolis NKP

NKP 27752 meal R S Altman, Troy, OH NKP/Lima-B&O

NKP 13370 meal R S Altman, Troy, OH NKP/Lima-B&O

6-11-48 NH 34114 meal The Glidden Co, Indianapolis NKP

SHPX 8932 bean oil E F Drew Co,Boonton, NJ via NKP/Buf-DLW

GATX 22191 bean oil Lever Bro, Edgewater, NJ via NKP/Buf-Erie-NYSW

NKP 27746 meal P R Markley, Rohrestown, PA NKP-PRR
xCicero-Arcadia-Hobbs
NKP 27747 meal Elkhart Co Farm Bureau, Goshen, IN NKP-NYC

6-17-48 NKP 27760 bulk meal VAN-Hubbard Milling, Economy, PA via PRR
xCamden, IN 12 doors
SWTX 7790 bean oil VAN-Swift&Co Refinery, Port Newark, NJ via PRR

ISTX 701 XT Capitol City Prod Co, Columbus, OH NKP-B4

NKP 27765 ??? A K Zinn & Co, Battle Creek, MI NKP/MichCity-MC

6-22-48 GATX 13668 bean oil Proctor&Gamble, Portsmouth, VA NKP/Indpls-B4-N&W

GATX 29124 bean oil Proctor&Gamble, Portsmouth, VA NKP/Indpls-B4-N&W

NKP 27769 bulk meal Hidden ? Mills, Indianapolis NKP

NKP 27772 bulk meal Hidden ? Mills, Indianapolis NKP

NKP 27771 bulk meal Co-op Gr ? Mills, Buffalo, via NKP-BC dely