Covered Hoppers/Grain

James F. Brewer <jfbrewer@...>

I have been reading Modeling Railroads of the 1950's recently published by MR/Kalmbach.

In one of the articles, "Freight Equipment and Operations" by Robert S. McGonigal, there is a statement, on page 43 to the effect that covered hoppers weren't adopted for grain hauling until the 1960s.

Is it true that covered hoppers were not used to haul grain prior to 1960? I realize that grain was hauled in boxcars for many years, but thought the larger capacity covered hoppers developed in the 50's were intened, at least in part, to haul grain.

Thanks.

Jim Brewer
Glenwood MD