Re: Covered Hoppers/Grain

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jim Brewer wrote:
Is it true that covered hoppers were not used to haul grain prior to 1960? I realize that grain was hauled in boxcars for many years, but thought the larger capacity covered hoppers developed in the 50's were intened, at least in part, to haul grain.
I think the 1960 date is a trifle late, but not much. Practically all those hundreds of 2000-cubic-foot cars built through the 50s were for cement and comparable loads. At the end of the 50s true grain cars did begin to appear, but 1960 is not, to my mind, very late. Perhaps someone has more specifics.

Publishers of books on railroad history