Re: Left and right sides of a car...

ljack70117@...

On Oct 4, 2005, at 12:05 AM, Mike Brock wrote:

Tony Thompson writes:

while.....
Larry Jackman wrote:
You stand and face the B end of the car. The side to your right is
the Right side and to your left is the left side.

You can see why people get confused....<g>
Larry's and my statement sure look alike to me. But there
is a
potential problem with Larry's: you have to stand AT the B end,
facing
the B end. Otherwise I guess you could "stand and face the B end"
from
the side.
It is interesting that there are those that live in the real world and
mathematicians who often live in unworldly worlds. Having attained
a degree
in mathematics about 45 yrs ago...and never really using any of it
during my
33.5 [ note the 0.5 ] yrs with NASA...I can say that I have been in
the real
world most of the time since...although Mike Rose did comment
recently that
he often has no idea what I'm talking about. The point is, given
Larry's
real world statement...an unworldly mathematician might note that
you could
"face" the "B" end from quite a few different positions...infinite
according
to Zeno. Certainly, though, for our discussion, you could face the
"B" end
AND the "A" end at the same time from at least 2 different positions
standing on the track...assuming that one position is to the right
of the
car when viewed from 90° to the car's side and in the same plane
and the
other is to the left of the car when viewed from the same location.
See why
Mike Rose said that?

Mike Brock...it must be late...
I said it the way I did because I did not want you standing between the rails when you looked at the B end of the car. Must remember
safety when you are on the RR.
thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens