From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Tim
Gilbert
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:53 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Walthers 34' PS 3 Coal Hopper

Richard White wrote:

There is a guy offering these for $7.95 on e-bay.
Is it suitable for the steam era?
Is the Illinois Central version authentic?
The April 1949 ORER listed 397 IC hoppers in the #73600-73999 series
which had two bays, had inside lengths of 34' 2", cubic capacity of
2,256 feet and 50-ton trucks. The series was described as "Hopper,
Corten Steel" - that steel I believe was a Pullman-Standard proprietary
product. Now how well Walthers model replicates this series is the
question - I do not have a photo of a "real" IC hopper in the
#73600-73999 series to compare - Walthers model has the #73674 car number.

Tim Gilbert

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links