From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Richard Hendrickson
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 3:27 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] interesting COSX tank car in MR

On Oct 6, 2005, at 7:59 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

The lead photo for an article called "Pipeline on Rails" in this
month's
Model Railroader (page 56, November 2005) shows a string of tank cars
at
the Mid-Continent refinery in Tulsa OK in 1942. At the near end is
COSX
2269. The neat thing about this car is that it is a 2 dome car that
appears to have been made from a single dome car with a second dome
grafted onto one end - making 2 compartments with what appears to be
very
different volumes. The image is from the Library of Congress
(LC-USW3-010050) but it doesn't appear to be on-line.
Bruce, I have that photo, along with numerous others that were taken in
1942 to document the railroads' efforts to transport petroleum products
for the war effort after the Germans effectively cut off tanker traffic
along the Atlantic coast. Collectively, they are full of good images
and information for modelers of the mid- to late '40s. That MR used
only one of the photos is typical of their once-over-lightly approach
to prototype modeling; sure wouldn't want to overwhelm the train set
bozos with too much information.

Two compartment tank cars that were converted from single compartment
cars by adding internal diaphragms and a smaller dome at one end only
weren't all that rare; I have a number of photos of them. It was even
more common for single compartment cars to be converted into three
compartment cars by adding diaphragms and domes at both ends while
leaving the original, larger capacity center dome in place.

Richard Hendrickson

Yahoo! Groups Links