Re: Sergent Couplers

ljack70117@...

On Oct 7, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Gregg Mahlkov wrote:

Tim and list,

On the prototype, the knuckle will tend to close if the car is moved. The
force of gravity pulls on the pin and the vibration of movement will cause
it to drop, closing the knuckle. The conductor or trainman then has to pull
the cut lever and yank the knuckle open.

Since I model in N scale and use Micro-Trains and Accumate couplers, I don't
know if this would happen to the Sergent coupler or not. ;<D

Gregg Mahlkov
I have NEVER seen one close this way in all my time on the RRs. The lock block is not heavy enough to pull a knuckle closed. The force of gravity can not pull the lock down until the knuckle is fully closed. There is a tail on the knuckle that holds the block up and prevents it falling.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?