Re: Coal Dispersal

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Hendrickson [mailto:rhendrickson@opendoor.com]
For example, in 1950, tons of coal received from other roads:

D&RGW: 2200k tons
UP: 3300k tons
Much of the coal received by the D&RGW from UCR was handed off to the UP
for shipment to Kaiser's Fontana steel mill, so that doubtless
accounts for a sizeable part of the UP's tonnage.

Actually it's a bit more complex.... The Utah moved 1300k tons that year,
much of which was given to the D&RGW for delivery to the smelters north of
Provo (one of which owned the Utah) or off to the home heating suppliers in
Salt Lake City. Coal for the Fontana works came from the Kaiser owned
Sunnyside mine in Carbon county, which was originated by the Grande and
passed on the to UP. And of course mines served by the Utah did ship down
the LA&SL, but the UP received it directly from them at Provo -- and in
later years I understand this was considerable. What I don't know offhand
is whether, in 1950, the Carbon County was classified by the ICC as a
terminal service or class III road -- the difference being how the Grande
would report that tonnage: as originated tonnage if the CBC was a terminal
service or inbound if it was still a class III carrier. Either way, that
coal only got as far as the Geneva works.

All of which is to say it's unlikely we'll every get this *fully*
understood, but that it is clear there was a heck of a lot of coal tonnage
being moved as inbound or bridge and it stands to reason one should have
some doubt about that tonnage being moved exclusively in (recipent) home
road marked cars.

I wish I add the rest of the 1950 commodity data -- I'd like to see how much
inbound or bridge tonnage occurred on the southern roads....

Dave Nelson