Re: Couplers, Coupler Pockets, and Trucks

Schuyler Larrabee

Perhaps there's hope for "equalized" freight car trucks.
Schuyler, you say you can actually see your trucks equalize
as they go down the track? That doesn't say much for your
trackwork. What scale are you in?

Pat Wider
HO, Pat, and my club's got VERY good track work, laid almost exclusively by one man who's got Very
High Standards. But even on very good trackwork there are occasional joints that don't PERFECTLY
match, and switchwork with high numbers, where equalization does help, and id visible. Mostly, the
trucks that do have the equalization are the Dan Kilgore trucks, which have pretty wimpy springs. I
don't have trackwork of my own (except for the small amount I've laid at the Club).

I do believe there's a market, small, maybe, for a line of Really Superb Scale Trucks. Springs with
appropriate visual density, low spring rates, all the parts (brakeshoes, etc) and that if these were
available at a not-too-stratospheric price, changing out trucks would be as common as it used to be
to toss the x2f's as far as one could, and replace with Kadees.

SGL