Re: Sergent Couplers

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Jared,

I have been following this thread and you have given my pro/con should
I/shouldn't I convert thoughts a good kick.

I am in the beginning of construction of the outer end of the
Burlingame, KS, branch. All trackwork with any need for switching will
be within two feet of the edge. And this layout only requires around
two dozen cars (most off-stage) to be fully operable. And the mixed
train is powered by a doodlebug.

Changing couplers is not going to be a big deal other than the cost I
am thinking of giving the Sergent couplers a try.

-- Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Oct 7, 2005, at 8:08 PM, Jared Harper wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas M. Olsen" <tmolsen@U...> wrote:
  The big bugaboo
> will be the ability to reach the cars and accurately get the wand
into
> position to uncouple the cars, or to be able to align couplers with
the
> cars buried in a yard more than two feet from the benchwork end.
This
> will really be a test of skill when humping cars, as you will only
have
> seconds to lift ball to uncouple the cars as they go over the hump
or to
> uncouple rear-end helpers on the fly.  Most fellows that I know
will not
> use these couplers as they require the operator to get more
involved in
> the actual work of making and breaking up of trains and in
switching
> operations.  The magnetic couplers in use today allow us to move
along
> quickly in an operating session, while use of the Sergent couplers
will
> bring us back to reality as nothing moves fast in actual  railroad
> switching and in train make-up and break-up operations.  Just like
the
> Army - "Hurry Up and Wait!

I am modeling Santa Fe's Alma branch.  My only yard will be the very
small one at Burlingame.  Most of the switching will be out along the
line where benchwork is 2 feet wide or less.  I will need an
uncoupling magnet on a stick to reach one location on the wye at
Alma. Passenger cars with diaphrams will not be a consideration
because I will have a single coach, baggage and caboose car.  The
greater level of hands on activity in switching process will make it
more prototypical in my opinion.  We will see.  I will keep folks
posted when I get some experience under my belt.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

▪  Visit your group "STMFC" on the web.

▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.