injection molding tooling costs in China

ed_mines

Walthers is going out with another caboose?

Wasn't the same Pennsy caboose available from one of the toy train
manufacturers? And QualityCraft? And in brass?

I would think that everyone who really wants prototype cabooses
already has them in brass, or from Q'Craft or AMB and this would
limit sales. Apparently Walthers is making money.

Are injection tooling costs less now then they were before because
the work is done overseas?

There are other car kits that I would expect to have limited
interest to the general modeling population - like the Pennsy
express reefer and troup sleepers. There is no shortage of choices
either.

Or are a lot of the NMRA type guys collectors?

If tooling costs are low maybe someone from this group could have a
kit made for cars we want (like chemical tank cars).

Ed