Re: Athearn PS-2 3 bay hopper

bierglaeser <bierglaeser@...>

Is the Athearn car supposed to represent the earliest 3-bay covered
hopper with 3219 (or thereabouts) cubic feet? If it is then I need
to start lobbying for a version in the M&StL post-1956 billboard
paint scheme.

If moving the hatches on the Athearn car is anything like moving the
hatches on the MDC car, then it isn't hard to do. A 1/4 inch hole
with a short piece of 1/4" styrene tube provided the new location
and 'flange.' A 1/4" circle of styrene punched out with a paper
punch plugged the old hole. Squadron putty and a little sanding
finished the job.

Gene Green

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Montford Switzer" <ZOE@I...> wrote:

Mike:

For the unlucky ones among us the hatches and covers can be moved.
This
usually involves fitting the old lids on lips around new openings
(you
don't really have to have a hole there unless you want to open
them).
Filling the old holes, assuming there are any is the hard part.
But the
Athearn model looks like it is worth the effort.

Any chance they will do two roofs?

Mont Switzer