Re: Sergent Couplers

Paul LaCiura <paul.jeseng@...>

I think that the best compromise for new builds until the ultimate solution
becomes available is the Accumate proto coupler. I have installed them on
several P2K/RC cars and the combination of the near scale size with the near
scale draft gear looks great. I leave the metal uncoupling "hooks" off, but
if Richard needs remote uncoupling they are easy to install. Since I have
not installed them on enough cars to see how they would operate in a long
train I cannot comment on their strength under slack action, etc., but they
work great in a small local train. I don’t know how they stand up to large
club conditions, maybe someone else can comment further.

For retrofits where I really don’t have the constitution to carve out the
cast-in draft gear (yet..) and on the pulling side of locomotives I use the
Kadee 58's after cutting the trip pin off. These will be the first to be
retrofitted to Sergent when I get the gumption to do so.

The Sergent couplers I have purchased will go on the front of my steam
locomotives and on the rear of my boattail observation cars.

What is the "ultimate solution"? A coupler that looks like a Sergent,
operates like a Kadee and has a near scale or scale draft gear like the
Accumate.

Just my 23 cents worth (considering the Bay Area cost of living),

Paul

Paul LaCiura
San Francisco, CA
spdaylight.com