Re: 1949 NKP Movements . . .

Tim O'Connor

It is highly unlikely that violations would go unnoticed, thanks
to the DAILY accounting of cars for per diem purposes. Perhaps there
was some kind of quid pro quo to balance the "violations" or perhaps
those cars actually did have the duty paid on them and we just don't
have those records. Knowing how carefully railroads kept records (and
were required to do so by the ICC) I'm sure that real violations of
the law were the exception and not the rule.

Doug Rhodes wrote:
So I'd be cautious about generalizing from this data to conclude that
the cabotage laws were "urban legend" :-)
I don't think that's what was alleged, only that the "rule" that no
Canadian mark cars ever got reloaded for U.S. destinations appears a
bit legend-like. We're trying to reproduce what actually happened, not
what the law said should happen. <can we "g" on this?>

Tony Thompson