Re: 1949 NKP Movements . . .

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
It is highly unlikely that violations would go unnoticed, thanks
to the DAILY accounting of cars for per diem purposes. Perhaps there
was some kind of quid pro quo to balance the "violations" or perhaps
those cars actually did have the duty paid on them and we just don't
have those records. Knowing how carefully railroads kept records (and
were required to do so by the ICC) I'm sure that real violations of
the law were the exception and not the rule.
Full agreement, and well stated. I only meant that there evidently WERE exceptions, whether as violations or from some arrangement we haven't documented, and therefore that SOME Canadian cars did get reloaded for U.S. destinations. As Tim Gilbert said, it's abundantly obvious that this was rare, from statistics alone.

Publishers of books on railroad history