Re: Scale Couplers: Distances between cars; Prototype vs. Model

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Reviewing my post on this subject, I did not make clear that the measured distance between the faces of the draft gear boxes of coupled cars (which is what I measured) is NOT the same as the measured distances between end sills, or car ends. As one can readily observe, the draft gear faces project beyond the end sills differently on different cars, depending upon individual design and construction details of the underframes, and the placement of bolsters.

So, if the draft gear box faces are *correctly placed* on your models, simply measuring the distance between the faces will give you some idea where you might be as related to the distance expected with the prototype with Type E couplers ("30"). If smaller industrial or earlier couplers are modeled, then the expected distance would seem to be about 24".

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento