Re: Sergent Couplers

Walter M. Clark

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "wmcclark1980" <walterclark@e...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, timboconnor@c... wrote:

William, only one problem: If your magnet is moved away from the
ball (upwards) then the effect of the magnetic field is diminished as
the inverse square of the distance. To work, your uncoupling lever
would have to move a magnet DOWN closer to the top of the coupler
so that the ball would rise as the magnetic field got stronger.

Just wait for the Barger coupler. (Hopefully not too many years
hence.)
It will have a real pin, just like the prototype. At least, the 1/32
scale
version had one!

Tim O.

I've been thinking about trying to make real, functioning top
operated
coupler release bars to use with the Sergent couplers. I looked at
the size of the pieces and think it can be done, just by someone
with
better eyes and steadier hands than I have. Anyway, the idea is to
use a small piece of those super-strong rare-earth magnets at the
point above the coupler, so moving the down bent end of the coupler
release bar up would lift the magnet, thus lifting the little ball
inside the coupler.
Tim,

I knew it was too good to be true, and I'm glad you explained it so I
can understand before I did something really crazy like actually
trying to make it work. That would have been frustrating, to say the
least.

Walter M. Clark
Tim,

I've thought more about this idea, while it may very well seem that
I'm trying to bring a rightfully dead idea back to life, PLUS, I admit
I've never seen a Sergent coupler,except in photos, the following
thought crossed my mind (which, some of my friends, as well as others,
would say is the shortest trip in history). Instead of using a small
piece of magnet on the release rod, drill out the top of the coupler
to provide access to the location of the ball. Substitute a vertical
piece of wire the thickness of the ball (plus or minus, it would take
some experimentation to get it right) and use the vertical wire in
place of the magnetic ball. Lift the release rod, the vertical wire
pulls up, allowing the coupler to open. When the release rod is
lowered the wire would do exactly what the ball does, locking the
coupler closed. You'd have to provide a limiting stop to keep from
pulling the wire all the way out of the coupler, but that wouldn't be
too hard, I think. Also, and this is an improvement of my first idea,
you could drill from below and use something of the same mechanism for
bottom actuated couplers. Now, if you or anyone else has a reason (or
more than one, I'm easy) why this won't work, fire away. My familial
tremor will prevent me trying this so I'll end with what several of my
college mathematics professors would say, "The proof is left to the
student as an exercise."

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California