Re: Sprung Trucks

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 11, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Justin Kahn wrote:

Following this thread through several messages, I have to say I have always
preferred sprung trucks, even though most springing is too stiff to actually
work in smaller scales (it is more likely to work in O scale, but I am not
sure I want to weight freight cars enough to accomplish the effect). It may
not be entirely rational, but I began model railroading when sprung trucks
were a considerable improvement over the low-relief cast sideframes previous
available, and as my sartorial tastes were established in college, never to
change much since, so my preference has always been for sprung trucks
wherever possible.
Jace, I'm always mystified when people express a preference for sprung trucks because it seems obvious to me that the springs never actually work, even to provide a small degree of equalization, and (aside from the San Juan O scale trucks) they look AWFUL. Kadee's HO scale trucks are admirable in most respects, but seeing all that daylight through the space where there should be four or five heavy springs totally spoils their appearance. When I use Kadees, I CA pieces of black-painted styrene behind the springs, an expedient that I find greatly improves their realism. Sprung trucks may have appeared to be an admirable new development fifty years ago, but now that we have a wide variety of highly realistic non-sprung trucks, I avoid them whenever possible. (I wonder if someone could make San Juan's idea work in HO scale?)

Richard Hendrickson