Re: Bil Darnaby's List of 1949 Boxcar Movements from Swift's Soy Bean Processing Operation in Frankfort IN

Montford Switzer <ZOE@...>

Responding to Tim Gilbert:

Tim,

Your points are well taken. Do we know who determined what car was
loaded to what destination?

Note that there were no MONON cars loaded when I'm sure they were around
being that close to home rails and all. My guess is when the NKP got a
MONON car that close to home rails (MONON and NKP both ran through
Frankfort and the NKP had 2 other interchanges with the MONON within 30
miles) they returned it empty rather than pay charges while the car sat
at Swift for loading.

Also, take a look at the routing on the NKP owned cars. Those routings
look a lot cleaner to me, many totally on line or with significant miles
on the NKP.

Then look at what the MONON got:

- SR, GM&O cars of a 20 mile on line haul
- RI car south on the PRR via Indinapaolis
- NH, IC car to southern Indiana on a MONON branch
-SOO car to an NYC destination in Michigan

Car selection seems to be random except for the NKP cars/routings.

I would think that Bill's data has helped you with boxcars and tank cars

carrying bean oil; the data has not shown the distribution of owners
among hoppers, gons, reefers or tank cars carrying different commodities

than bean meal.

Yes, but I have other sources for this. Also, the MONON used a lot of
home road cars specially equipped for some of the regular moves. As I
mentioned among them were TV cabinets, coke, foundry sand and Indiana
coal on the Indianapolis line. I also need to work on GTW boxcars for
inbound newsprint.

Tim Gilbert

Yahoo! Groups Links