Re: Bil Darnaby's List of 1949 Boxcar Movements from Swift's Soy Bean Processing Operation in Frankfort IN

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Montford Switzer wrote:

Responding to Tim Gilbert:

Tim,
Your points are well taken. Do we know who determined what car was
loaded to what destination?
Mont,

I suppose the Swift's shipping foreman had the final say. I could not find an example from the Bill's Jan/Feb 1948 list showing this explicitly, but I think the Jan/Mar 1949 List has an example of loading a PRR car for a non-PRR routing while another owner's boxcar was routed on the PRR on the same day. There are all sorts of boxcars owned by western roads being reloaded and sent east - so much for the Car Service Rule to reload and route empties in the direction of the home road only.

I am in process of entering Bill's data onto a spreadsheet - I have completed the Jan/Feb 1948 List, and am about to start the June 1948 List and then the Jan/Mar 1949 List.

Note that there were no MONON cars loaded when I'm sure they were around
being that close to home rails and all. My guess is when the NKP got a
MONON car that close to home rails (MONON and NKP both ran through
Frankfort and the NKP had 2 other interchanges with the MONON within 30
miles) they returned it empty rather than pay charges while the car sat
at Swift for loading.
I would make the same argument for why there so few boxcars owned by railroads of the Great Lakes Region (NYC, WAB, ERIE, DL&W, etc.. The CIL was part of the Central East Region.). This works only if there was an ample supply of empty boxcars in Frankfort. If this supply was critically low, then empty boxcars of the Great Lakes Roads and the MONON would be hoarded. At Frankfort, the supply of empty boxcars were augmented by cars released from the NKP's Frankfort Car Shops.

Incidentally, MONON #1 was in Frankfort on January 10th, 1948 loaded with drugs loaded at Bloomfield NJ and routed ERIE-Lima-NKP-TRRA-SSW-Corsicana-T&NO-El Paso-SP-San Francisco.

Also, take a look at the routing on the NKP owned cars. Those routings
look a lot cleaner to me, many totally on line or with significant miles
on the NKP.

Then look at what the MONON got:

- SR, GM&O cars of a 20 mile on line haul
- RI car south on the PRR via Indinapaolis
- NH, IC car to southern Indiana on a MONON branch
-SOO car to an NYC destination in Michigan

Car selection seems to be random except for the NKP cars/routings.
I do not see any such "favoritism" in the Jan/Feb 1948 List. There were five boxcar terminations on the NKP, but only one was in an NKP car - the others were ERIE, GN, MILW and PRR. Meanwhile, nine NKP cars were loaded by Swift: - three each terminated on the PRR and Michigan Central, and one each on the NKP, C&O and Toledo Terminal.

I would think that Bill's data has helped you with boxcars and tank cars

carrying bean oil; the data has not shown the distribution of owners
among hoppers, gons, reefers or tank cars carrying different commodities

than bean meal.

Yes, but I have other sources for this. Also, the MONON used a lot of
home road cars specially equipped for some of the regular moves. As I
mentioned among them were TV cabinets, coke, foundry sand and Indiana
coal on the Indianapolis line. I also need to work on GTW boxcars for
inbound newsprint.
Coke and Coal, I assume, were carried in hoppers which had much lower percent loaded of total car miles than boxcars (55% vs. 76%) which greatly reduced the opportunities for reloading empties before they were returned to the mines or ovens; thus, the percent of hoppers on home road lines of total hoppers on the MONON was greater than for boxcars. I assume foundry sand was bagged and loaded into boxcars as were the TV Cabinets. Were some of these commodities terminated on other roads? If so, I would expect the MONON lost control of the routing of these boxcars when they were unloaded just as they lost control of CIL #1 once it was delivered to the L&N in Louisville on June 17th, 1947.

What happened to boxcars carrying newsprint when they were unloaded? Were they returned to their owners empty, or were they reloaded with product, and routed wherever? There were no guarantees that GTW boxcars would be returned to the GTW once the newsprint was unloaded particularly in times when there were boxcar shortages. If the GTW wanted newsprint cars to return, CN cars should be used - assuming that the newsprint came from Canada.

Hope this helps, Tim Gilbert