The upcoming Athearn 65' mill gon

Garrett W. Rea <Garrett.Rea@...>

All:

First off, sorry if this has been covered in the past, I have been
away from this list for several months and searching the archive
turned up nothing...

Anyhow, my friend James Bilbrey was nice enough to send me the
following links of photos of the upcoming Athearn gons:

http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/image/50563722

http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/image/50563723

Now, looking at the photos above and photos of the PSC built mill
gons (NC&StL, L&N, and SAL cars to be exact) it appears that the
Athearan cars are close from what I can see (19 ribs, 10 pairs of
stake pockets, the end sill) but I have a few questions for anyone
that was at this show or has seen these (Athearn) cars up close
elsewhere.

1) Is this in fact a match for the PSC built 65' mill gons

2) The ribs all look "fat" almost like a welded rib on a PRR G32 or
the like, not the thin "T" style.

3) Are these prototypes or is the finished product near, the end
post/body joints are a bit odd (the end post should stick out further
than the side, look at the CB&Q car if this is in fact a PSC car and
there is a gap on the Sante Fe car in this area.

Any other info would be appreciated also.

Thanks-

Garrett Rea
Nashville, TN