IOX 2144 & MDC 6k gallon OT tank car

Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@...>

I've found a photograph at the Glenbow Museum online photo archive at: <http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx>; that shows IOX 2144 among others, filling with gasoline in Calgary, Alberta in 1943. Use the search term "NA-4281-26" to locate it.

According to Ian Cranstone's Canadian Freight Cars web site, this car was one of a group of 202 cars in series 2052-2253, built June 1915 by CC&F. Through their lives, the cars in this series were variously lettered IOX/CSGX/TCLX.

Based on helpful information provided by Richard Hendrickson on the Type X design, the car appears to be a near match for the Type X cars represented by the MDC Old Timer tank (which requires a new frame). I think the dome on this car may be a little larger than the 6000 gallon UTLX cars I've seen, but the angle of view leaves me uncertain. If it is larger, I'm not sure whether to conclude that implies it is a larger 8000 or 10000 gallon car, or something else (different manufacturer might account for it?)

I'd be interested in any other photo references for this car series.

Rob Kirkham