Re: IOX 2144 & MDC 6k gallon OT tank car

Steve and Barb Hile

On Oct 22, 2005, at 7:48 PM, Rob Kirkham wrote:

> I've found a photograph at the Glenbow Museum online photo archive at:
> <http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx>; that shows
> IOX
> 2144 among others, filling with gasoline in Calgary, Alberta in 1943.
> Use
> the search term "NA-4281-26" to locate it.
>
> According to Ian Cranstone's Canadian Freight Cars web site, this car
> was
> one of a group of 202 cars in series 2052-2253, built June 1915 by
> CC&F.
> Through their lives, the cars in this series were variously lettered
> IOX/CSGX/TCLX.
>
> Based on helpful information provided by Richard Hendrickson on the
> Type X
> design, the car appears to be a near match for the Type X cars
> represented
> by the MDC Old Timer tank (which requires a new frame). I think the
> dome on
> this car may be a little larger than the 6000 gallon UTLX cars I've
> seen,
> but the angle of view leaves me uncertain. If it is larger, I'm not
> sure
> whether to conclude that implies it is a larger 8000 or 10000 gallon
> car, or
> something else (different manufacturer might account for it?)

And Richard Hendrickson replied

Definitely a UTL Class X tank car, Ron. UTL apparently had a close
relationship with Imperial Oil, whose 2,200 car tank car fleet they
purchased in 1953, and may have licensed Imperial to have cars built by
CC&F to the UTL Class X design. Also, it was definitely a 6K gal. car;
the dome doesn't look to me as if it was oversize and the tank wasn't
long enough for an 8K gal. Class X.

Richard Hendrickson

Not only 2144, but also the car to the far right is also a UTLX class X design car. And 2543 appears to be an X-3 design, built after 1917. There were plans and a photo in the 1922 CBC, repeated in TSC number 12 that show IOX 3150, a 10,000 gallon car. I am specualting that COBX 2543 is an 8000 gallon car that could be modeled with Sunshine's X-3 kit for the long, skinny 8000 gallon car (I forget what he calls it

I hope this is also helpful.

Regards,
Steve Hile