Re: Icing cars was: Ice Operations

PBowers <waiting@...>

At 05:26 PM 10/24/05, you wrote:
It's interesting to me that no one worked inside the reefer during loading. It seems curious to me that they would have allowed 'whatever happened' to the blocks of ice when they were dumped in to be the end result. I could understand that more easily if the blocks were smaller but as large as they were it is amazing that they didn't care if they ended up 'on end', sideways, catty-wompous, etc.
In The CN code of rules for icing cars it states: "Block ice should be in pieces of about 50 lbs each, except, where cars are initially iced, the first ice supplied should be small enough as not to injure the gratings of bunkers and the last ice should be sufficiently fine to fill the vacant spaces. Care must be used to ensure that space under the roof or running board is filled" Reference is also made of tamping ice to assure no voids are present.

Peter Bowers