Re: NP box car #30995

Richard Hendrickson

On Oct 24, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Gene Green wrote:

There is a color photo of a long, shingle-sheathed box car at NP 30995
Box Car Item number: 6572658337.

The truss pattern suggests this car may be the result of splicing two
cars. I think I see a Dreadnaught square corner end. When might this
car have been built? Were there more? When was it retired?
Ten cars numbered 30990-30999. They were rebuilt in 1965 by extending
the length of some 20000 20499 series boxcars, originally built in the
NP shops in 1931-'32, from 40'6" IL to 50'3" IL – hence the off-center
doors. IIRC, this was done to provide a small number of cars for
on-line LCL service. Neither the concept nor the cars lasted very
long. The cars did not go off line in interchange and were retired in
the '70s.

Richard Hendrickson