From: "Garth Groff" <ggg9y@virginia.edu>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Equipment registers

Gregg,

Thanks for your information on the mechanics of the ORERs. But what
clout did the Commission have over prompt reporting of changes? By that
I mean, was there any penalty if railroad managers simply failed to
report equipment changes during the required submission period? Would
another railroad reject interchange of such new cars that were not yet
reported?

You say that there could be NO errors. That works well in theory, but as
many students of railroad history could tell you, there are many
examples of whole classes of cars missing from the ORERs which have been
recorded in published photos. Example: D&RGW leased a whole mess of 40'
PS-1s lettered in their own road name (possibly beyond the scope of this
group, sorry), but which supposedly were not recorded in the ORERs.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Gregg Mahlkov wrote:

Allen, Garth, and list,

Since I furnished entries to the ORER for 18 years, let me explain how it
worked. First, for many years, it was a Tariff filed with the ICC, and as
such required 30 days' notice from time of receipt at the ICC to effective
date. It was issued quarterly, on January 15, April 15, July 15, and October
15, so it had to be in the hands of the Commission by December 15, March 15,
June 15, and September 15. Since it took a month to set up the galleys and
proofread it (as a tariff it could contain NO errors), the information had
to be in the hands of the Tariff Publishing Agent at 15 W. 32nd Street, New
York 1, New York, before November 15, February 15, May 15, and August 15. So
basically, railroads and private car owners had about two or three weeks
from the effective date of an issue to get the changes for the next to the
publisher-agent.

Since this list is limited to discussions of pre-1960 cars, I won't go into
the changes wrought by computers, UMLER, the demise of the ICC and that
ugly, ugly, word, deprescription.

Gregg Mahlkov

Yahoo! Groups Links