Re: GATX Insulated Tank Cars

Bruce Smith

On Sun, November 6, 2005 7:23 am, Roger Robar wrote:
When where the GATX [#37,000 series] 10,000 Gallon Insulated tank cars
built? They are listed in my 1949 and 1954 ORER's. The Proto 2000 models
look very nice and I assume are very accurate renditions of the prototype.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
Roger,

I don't know the specific series, but General American also built their
own tank cars. It is most likely that the cars in the series you cite
were these, and they are distinctively different from the AC&F type 21.
In particular they did not have a side sill, whereas the type 21 has a
channel side sill and the General American cars had a distinctive end
brace. It is possible that they purchased or absorbed some type 21
insulated cars, but you would have to know from photos. Overland models
did a nice version of the GATC built 10k gal insulated car and these show
up on eBay from time to time.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith