Re: UTLX tank cars.

Arnold van Heyst

Well Mr. Smith.......that's very informative you have here.
Are there any stores in the U.S. who sells the decorated UTLX 8,000
by Proto 2000?
I've googled, but nothing to find.
Also, i don't have any experience in building the "X-3" 6,000 gallon
type from Sunshine Models.
Is there someone willing to sell a perfectly build model to me?

Arnold.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Smith" <smithbf@a...> wrote:

On Sun, November 6, 2005 12:34 pm, Arnold wrote:
It's me again.

I have severall UTLX tank cars, for instance the 10,000 gallon
type 21
revited tank car by Proto 2000.
Was there also a model of 8,000 gallon?
Did they even existed at all?
When they didn't make a UTLX 8,000 gallon type, how can i make
one?

Arnold,

In general, Union Tank Car (UTLX) built many of its own tank cars,
the
X-3. These are available in resin from Sunshine Models in 6,000
gal, two
different 8,000 gal, and a 10,000 gal as well as the just release X-
5
insulated pressure (propane) car. UTL built its own cars as well as
contracting with companies like AC&F. While the Type 21 was an AC&F
design, AC&F built cars for UTL to the X-3 design. However, UTL
acquired
cars in mergers and buyouts and thus ended up with a number of type
21s.
It is extradinarily difficult from the ORER to tell what class a
car is so
you need to work from photos. Life-like has worked with noted tank
car
historians and generally I trust their numbering... so if Life-Like
offers
an 8k gal type 21 lettered UTLX, it most likely had photo
documentation.
If you can't find the model, you can buy any 8k type 21, strip it,
paint
it black and use the Champ UTLX decals to letter it. Watch out for
Intermountain's type 27 UTLX cars. At least some of them are
completely
fictional, and the one I bought had white lettering instead of the
appropriate yellow lettering.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce Smith