Re: Eastern Car Works Trucks was: NC&StL flat car (Tichy) trucks

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Richard,

It was my impression that John Green's recent reproduction of the two
level Dalman trucks were from new tooling replicating the Cape Line
Two-level Dalman #T-24. John had told me that he had obtained the
rights to the Cape Line trucks from the owner after Ertel sold them back
to them.

Was there a connection between the line of Cape Line trucks and those
from the M. Dale Newton Red Ball Line?

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@ udel.edu

Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Oct 25, 2005, at 1:54 PM, James F. Brewer wrote:

Phil,

You might want to check out Bethlehem Car Works; they have a version
of the
Dalman 2 level truck cast in a metal alloy. See:

http://www.bethlehemcarworks.com/Products/Kit_Bits/index.html#Trucks

The Bethlehem trucks are the latest in several incarnations of the old
(VERY old) Red Ball trucks, made from tooling that dates back to the
early 1940s. That in itself isn't a bad thing, of course, and many of
those antiques are still the only way to model a variety of prototype
trucks in HO scale. But the Bethelehem/ex-Red Ball Dalman two level
represents a very odd version of the Dalman design. I'm sure there was
a prototype for it it's hardly likely that M. Dale Newton invented it
out of thin air but if so, I've never seen a single example. And the
sideframe configuration is so unlike the Dalman trucks that were widely
used in the 1920s and early '30s as to be virtually useless. To model
the trucks under the NC&StL flat cars, or any other common trucks of
Dalman design, Eastern Car Works is still the only game in town.

Richard Hendrickson

Yahoo! Groups Links