Re: PS -1 BOX Cars

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

Not quite. The reenforcing tabs were first applied in 1949. Cars built in 1947 and 1948 lack them. In 1950, Pullman added the extra stiffeners on the outermost roof panels.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Tim Gilbert wrote:

Ed Hawkins wrote in response to Matt Strickland:

Matt,
The first cars came in June 1947 for Lehigh Valley. Others receiving
PS-1s in 1947 were CGW, MEC, BM, ATSF, NH, and KCS. There's been
numerous articles and many photos published in RMJ over the past 15
years on the general subject of PS-1s, in particular during March 93 to
December 94 plus other small fillers since that time.
So far as I can determine, none of these early PS-1's had the "zits" (small stampings) in the apex of the cars' ends. These "zits," I believe, were not standard equipment until 1951.

Thus, most of the PS-1 models may not be appropriate for PS-1 Boxcars built before 1951 as the "good ones" have the "zits."

Tim Gilbert

Yahoo! Groups Links