Re: Tank car dome from Detail Associates

Shawn Beckert

Bill Welch asked:

Detail associates has a tank car dome in their parts line, cast in
resin I believe. Could someone fill me on what kits this is intended
for? I assume it is meant to correct a kit or make possible an
alternative model.
While you can probably use it for other projects, I believe the original
intent of the DA tank car dome was to aid in converting Athearn's 40'
tank car into a closer representation of the Southern Pacific O-50-13
class of cars.

Tony Thompson once did an article on how to create a proper height dome
using the dome from another carbody to get the extra height. I suspect
the Detail Associates dome was produced in response to that, for those
of us who can't cut straight <g>.

Shawn Beckert