Re: Tank Cars

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

Kevin;
Thanks for that great scan!

Tom;
I agree with Bruce, and Kevin's scan indicates it is almost certainly an
early GATC product, and the bolsters, tank supports, angled draft gear
support brackets and all support that conclusion. GATC made lots of
tanks for NATC, which seems to have maintained the biggest oddball fleet
of any of the owners/lessors.

I don't know if there is a formal designation for this "model" of tank
car, but it is the one I associate with the group that immediately
precedes the Type 30, which shares a lot of the same features.

The parallelogram logo was a later addition, if I remember right. This
car does not appear in my 1964 ORER, either, but that low number series
tended to accumulate 2-compartment and 3-compartment cars. It may have
been an add-on through purchase, or perhaps a re-numbering after
expiration of a lease?

The single safety valves on each dome are interesting, as are the
unexplained rivets on the tank. I suspect this tank was created for
some odd commodity that is not that volatile, like ink, special
lubricating oil, or something like that. Lessors sometimes dictated the
nature of equipment like heating coils, vents and valves, or insulation.
The transverse mounting of the reservoir is also interesting.

There is nothing that resembles this car in model form. The tank is
very small, and being riveted, would require a big scratchbuilding
effort. The underframe vaguely resembles those on the Athearn and
Walthers tanks, which are exceedingly crude. The newer Overland radial
course GATC tank cars have some similarities, but are earlier GATC
products. The WA Drake car is a newer Type 30, if I remember correctly.

I hope this helps.

Elden Gatwood