Re: Question about a RI PS-1 box car

Ed Hawkins

On Wednesday, November 9, 2005, at 08:08 AM, Mike Brock wrote:

Mark Heiden has a question about a car that is out of our time period.
I'm
going to permit it's entry into discussion but only with regard to
this one
car series and discussion will not be allowed to extend to others.
Thanks.
Mark,
The 500 RI PS-1s built in 1963 were numbered 27350-27849, built circa
October. Pullman-Standard lot number is 8847. The Illinois Railway
Museum has the correspondence files for cars built during this time
period. However, be advised the documents are currently stored in an
express reefer on the grounds of the IRM and are difficult to gain
access.

The first 200 cars came with Youngstown doors, the next 200 cars came
with Pullman-Standard doors, and the last 100 cars came with 6-panel
Superior doors. I don't have any definitive information on the hand
brakes, trucks, and running boards as the RI diagrams I have are dated
1962. Ends were coated with black car cement, freight car red sides,
and the running boards were unpainted galvanized steel (appears to be
Apex Tri-Lok or equivalent with rectangular open grid). The roofs may
have been coated with black car cement when new, however, I don't have
conclusive information on the roof color. The hand brakes may be
Equipco, but the wheel is the later "generic" style. As is often the
case, there may have been multiple suppliers of hand brakes.

A photo of 27452 taken 1/64 shows the use of S-2-A Barber Stabilized
trucks. A Dick Kuelbs color photo of 27657 (December 1997 Railmodel
Journal, page 4) shows a brand new car having A-3 Ride-Control trucks.
I photographed 27570 myself in 1974 and the overhead view was published
January 1994 RMJ on page 46. By this date the roof was mostly
unpainted galvanized steel with hints of black car cement still applied
to the seam caps and other small portions of the roof sheets, which
give me reason to believe the roofs were originally coated entirely
with black car cement.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins