Re: Question about a RI PS-1 box car

Mark Heiden

Hello Sam and Ed,

Thanks for the information; this was exactly what I was looking
for! Do either of you know of any good pictures showing the door
gussets? I found a photo of RI 27560 on Fallen Flags, but it is
difficult to make out the shape of the gussets and whether they are
welded or riveted in place (although it does appear that the gusset
to the right of the door has rivets along the sloped edge).

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <mail@k...> wrote:

In addition to Eds' information the following is from one of our
diagram
books. The page for this car has been copied a zillion times so
some of the
road numbers are hard to read.

Also note the reinforcing gussets at the bottom corners of the
door
openings which need to be added to any current PS-1 40 foot body
styles.

The doors are as Ed mentioned.

Running boards 27350-27599, 28100-28349 U.S. Gypsum, all others
have Apex.

Hand Brakes 27350-27599, 27850-28099, 28650-29149 Equipco
27600-27849, 28250-28349 Klasing
28100-28249, 28350-28649 Ajax
29250-29349 Ureco 29150-29249 Ellcon
Since these cars were built in 1963 the actual hand wheels were
the generic
modern styles (each make has their own little differences but
generally look
similar) but the housings are not generic looking..

Trucks 27350-27549, 28050-28249, 28350-28899, 29081 Barber S-2-A
27550-27749,27850-28049, 28900-29349 Ride Control A-3
27750-27849, and others National C-1

The few photos we have indicate that the ends are certainly
black and the
running boards are unpainted galvanized. The roofs were more than
likely
black but this is unconfirmed with the info we have.

Sam Clarke
Kadee Quality Products