Re: Tank car questions

Bruce Smith

On Sat, November 12, 2005 5:32 pm, Jared Harper wrote:
NOW FOR MY QUESTIONS. All the cars from 1958 are listed in my
January 1943 ORER so I assume they could have appeared on Alma branch
trains during my May 1943 modeling era. Am I correct?
<snip>
Would the Phillips 66 and Standard jobbers reasonably receive
shipments in cars lettered for these companies, or
could shipments be received in UTLX or SHPX cars of 6,000 or 8,000
gallon capacity?
Jared,

The oil shortage was so critical at that point that there is no way that a
tank car would be in assigned service unless it was for a very special
cargo. Those cars noted in 1958 would most likely have been in the pool
of cars hauling oil to the northeast. That leaves open the question of
what cars would have been on the Alma branch in Jan 1943. It is extremely
likely that the folks on the Alma Branch had to scream, kick, yell, and
generally carry on to get a fraction of the shipments that they wanted.
It is difficult to convey the scope of the fuel emergency that winter.
Gondpola containers were even lined and filled with fuel to be sent to the
northeast when they ran out of tank cars!

I will speculate that the tank cars would be whatever was available,
perhaps even the dregs... mostly older cars but have no positive evidence.
Alternatively, consider the national fleet as a starting point.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL