Paint suggestions for CNW boxcar and NYC gondola

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I'm going to paint a couple of freight cars and I'd like some
suggestions as to what paints (preferably water-based) I should
use.

The first car is a Chicago & North Western 40ft PS-1, series 656-
1655, built 1954. Pictures of well weathered 1432 and 1602 can be
found at:

http://www.cnwhs.org/memberphotos/thumbnails.php?album=6&page=2

These cars were delivered with black ends, roof and underframe, so
what's a good match for the side?

The second car is a New York Central gondola, series 712500-713099,
Lot 791-G, as it would have appeared following shopping in 1955. I
have no color photos of these cars for reference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark Heiden