Re: Life Like P2k 10k Insulated Tankcar Type 21

ljack70117@...

On Dec 2, 2005, at 4:38 PM, Gatwood, Elden wrote:

Larry;

My question: Why would casinghead gasoline have to be shipped in
insulated tank cars?

I was told by a guy that I think knows enough (worked in by-products
plant), that casinghead gas (a liquid) is highly volatile, and will
expand readily upon heating. He made it sound like it is a
naturally-produced liquid similar to gasoline, that is a by-product of
the process by which organics are turned into raw petroleum. There are
many other highly volatile products of the coking process, and also
those produced when refining petroleum.

Does it seem like early cars produced for this service also have very
large domes, like larger than 2% of tank volume? And, that early cars
used by the by-products industry (like the infamous Koppers 10K
insulated tanks), are the same?

Take care,

Elden Gatwood
Casinghead gasoline as I know it is a natural gasoline off the well head. That is why it is called casinghead. Has nothing to do with refining or cooking any thing. I knew a guy that worked around oil wells and he used it in his car. It is higher octain than any thing you can buy in a filling station. A car will not like it as it will burn your valves if you do not put something with it in your tank to slow it down. You get it out of the seperator tank. The oil comes from the well to this tank. The water is seperated from the oil and other things come off the crude. That is why some wells have a flame burning to handle some of the gases that come off.
I had a brother in law die on one of these tanks. He was 8 years old and him and two young friends were playing on one of these tanks. One of the boys knew he was not to play there and was headed for home. The other one was on the ground just out side of the continement ring around the tank.
My brother in law was on top of the tank and opened the lid on top. He put his cap gun inside and fired it. The tank went "boom". He fell straight down into the tank as it split apart and was probably dead before he hit the bottom. The other boy was blown away and was burned but lived. The fire department had to put out the fire before they could recover Bobbie's body.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
The 50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is 90% probability you'll get it wrong.