Re: DVD's

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Bob Webber, soon to be announced as the STMFC's official comedian, notes:

Mike, just what are you planning on examining? I know the chain
started in Florida, but it was Clearwater (I think). I didn't know
they had one on Blue Ridge. Must be tough finding staff.
I guess you haven't been to Blue Ridge. Actually, I must confess that I haven't been inside any Hooters...<g>.

However, I WAS referring to checking out some other DVDs and I concur with Bill Darnaby about the NKP tapes and I like the B&O one as well. Incidentally, Sunday River also has some good B&O material and I like the Price tapes also. BTW, Price has some absolutely beautiful photos in his WM and B&O books. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the photographers of the steam era. Without them...

I have to comment as well that the Herron N&W tapes are well done. One in particular strikes me somewhat emotionally [ yes, I do get emotional about steam engines ]. It shows an N&W class "A" doubleheaded with a "Y" pulling a coal drag near Montvale, VA in the mid 50s. The background music adds to the impression, of course, as the narrator notes that the 2 engines are passing into history. About 40 yrs later I ran across the same field, various camera gear falling by the wayside, and shot another N&W class "A"...1218...as it slowly started from the same location. Regretfully, I can no longer do that because 1218 has, indeed, passed into history...at least as an operating entity. While it was here, though, like so many others...it put on an awesome show. We have been quite fortunate.

Mike Brock