From: "LAURANCE ROBERT KING" <ab8180@wayne.edu>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 09 January, 2002 10:11
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NYC . . . S?

:
: I have heard two possible reasons for NYC S- car
numbers:
:
: 1- to denote a "System" car which was preferably not
: loaded off NYC Lines,and if it was loaded off line, was
: "at home" at any NYC Lines connection,regardless of the
: initials on the car.
:
: 2- to denote the repair value of a given car. "S"was
: the highest class,with the others being an "A" under
: the NYC oval trademark and no designation at all
:
: Most "S" cars were in fact all steel,but not always.I
have
: pictures of wood side 40' automobile cars and wood
stock
: cars with steel center sills (a"Repair Steel
Underframe")
: both with "S" numbers.
:
: LR King